12/22/08

conversations in a hospital #4

every time i have a shift at our downtown cancer hospital, my client ends up being put on a dnr order and palliatiave care during my time with them...i was starting to wonder if maybe this wasn't the right profession for me, when i'm like the long, bony hand of death...but then i remembered that it's a cancer hospital, so it's probably more coincidence.
~
- is there a chance to enjoy the time i have left? asked mr. c, slowly, taking deep breaths between each word as the nurse put a finger over the trach hole in his neck.
- how would you want to do that? she asked.
- my daughter to visit, my wife to visit more, my family is going deeper in the hole, in debt.
- what would make you happy?
- to stop putting my family through this devastation. i want to enjoy as much as possible.

No comments: