4/2/08

will the true disassociator please stand up?

i've decided to diagnose my best friend with narcissistic personality disorder.
she's always told me that she's got such a high self-esteem, such a heightened self-confidence.
so much so that i used to be jealous of that ability to regard oneself so highly.
often wished it upon myself.
but then we moved in together and certain behaviours got me thinking.
and lately she just won't talk to me, and i was blaming myself, thinking i had done something wrong (clearly i'm at the other end of the narcissistic pole).
but then i realized the differences between self-esteem and egotism.
the difference is that with NPD you're prone to aggressive outbursts, especially when things don't go your way.
the difference is the complete and utter lack of empathy.
the difference is the arrogance, which although was visible pre-living together, i was not able to see just how much admiration was necessary...or required.
i love her to death, but maybe i can stop blaming myself for something that i have no idea if i've done.

~
Music to my ears: Atmosphere - Overcast!

No comments: